The Lang's Difference
Working with Lang's for the sale of your consignments will provide you with services and a proven auction record unmatched by any other selling venue.
Our promise of exceptional customer service at every point of the transaction extends to all consignors at every level, no matter the value of the consignment.
* Unlike other auctions and selling venues, at a cataloged Lang's Auction, consignments are 100% public owned. Your consignment will NOT be sold in competition with owner, appraiser, consultant or employee owned items in any Lang's cataloged auction. If you are considering consigning to an auction other than Lang's, make sure to ask how many items are owned by those associated with the auction that would benefit financially from their items selling for more than yours.
* Other selling venues may attempt to emulate Lang's, but no other auction in the tackle collecting field can equal Lang's state of the art consignor or buyer services, can claim a 30,000+ member exclusive mailing list of collectors, can rival Lang's country wide pick-up service averaging more than 100,000 miles annually, or most importantly can match the number of bidders vying for your items at each and every sale.
* Lang's consignors also benefit from a loyal clientele of serious collectors, gained from 20 years of service to the most discriminating buyers, that satisfy their tackle collecting needs solely through Lang's - they do not belong to collector clubs, attend shows, purchase from lists, or buy from eBay. Their mature collections have been built largely or solely on many years of quality Lang's purchases.
* We will not "cherry pick" your collection - leaving you to dispose of the hard to sell lesser value or common items. We will accept and sell every item you want to consign - valued from $1 to $100,000 and beyond. Why consign just your high value items, which provides higher profits with less man hours for the auction house? Make your auction work for you!
* No other antique fishing tackle related business in America utilizes three different selling venues to provide every consignor with the best opportunity to realize the highest possible prices. We have a successful venue for every value level: Lang's Cataloged Auction, Lang's Store and Lang's Discovery Auction.
* World Price Records in Every Category of Antique & Collectible Fishing Tackle
* Over $24 Million in Sales - single items to large collections - from $1 to $1,000,000 and beyond
* Our Catalog averages 55,000+ views from Unique potential Buyers Every Sale, resulting in the
World’s Largest Domestic & International Tackle Auction Audience
* Full Catalog Page for Every Auction Lot - Full Page Printed Color Ads
* Bidding through Phone, Fax, Lang’s Live, Mail, Online in Real Time & Absentee
* $1 Million Consignment Insurance Against All Perils
* 20 year reputation for Honesty, Integrity and Confidentiality
* Deal Directly with the Owner - Lifetime Member NFLCC, ORCA, FATC, CATC
Virtual Viewing vs. Hotel Viewing:
Because of Lang's technical advancements, buyers can now avoid major expenses due to travel, hotels, car rentals, etc., and spend their money on an item for their collection instead, which translates into higher prices for the consignor. No need to expend days away from work, family or recreation - Lang's brings the auction to you in the comfort of your own home, office or even to your mobile device. And to satisfy those that still want the "live auction experience" without the cost, Lang's provides a Live Video & Audio feed of our auctioneers as they sell each and every item.
Damage & Loss:
Due to virtual viewing, Lang's consignors are comforted by the knowledge that their rare or important items will not be handled by the inexperienced or malicious, resulting in viewing room "accidents", or worse yet, losses due to theft. And, how many consignors have fallen victim to the unscrupulous viewing room dealer/collector who "downs" or "bashes" an item to others in the viewing room just so they can "buy it cheap" once prospective bidders have lost interest due to negative comments? With virtual viewing, damage or theft is not a concern, and unethical verbal behavior does not reach or affect the bidders serious about purchasing or investing in your valuable item.
One of the most important reasons Lang's provides virtual viewing is the high quality in which the items are presented and viewed by serious collectors. Consignor's items are photographed in a professional studio setting with the appropriate background and lighting - not displayed on tables to be hastily viewed in low or harsh hotel lighting. Lang's virtual viewing provides the consignor and buyer with an experience that cannot be equaled. Consignor's items are presented to the audience in the most attractive possible way, while allowing an unlimited number of perspective buyers to inspect the item thoroughly through multiple enlargeable photos - without interruption from other viewers or without a time limit. It is without question, the best way to present consignments for sale or buy an important item or collection.
Lang's currently provides advertising through both printed media and Internet exposure. Over the last decade, Lang's audience has expanded exponentially to include collectors in 44 countries, therefore necessitating an important evolution in the way we advertise your consignments. While print advertising can reach a percentage of the target audience, direct collector advertising is hugely more successful, realizing many times the bidder involvement. Due to Lang's exclusive mailing list of over 30,000 collectors, your commission dollars are not wasted on those not interested in your specific items by placing redundant ineffective ads. Direct advertising through print media and emailed ads to those on Lang's mailing list, (which includes all existing tackle club members), reaches an audience of 100% interested collectors and enthusiasts. For new collectors that are not yet part of Lang's network, and to advertise to the fastest growing demographic of tackle collectors - young investors/collectors and International buyers, we produce and distribute online mailings through Lang's eCards and mass marketing through Lang's/Live Auctioneers' eBlast, which reaches an estimated 3 million online auction buyers. eBlasts are received by those who have previously participated in a Live Auctioneers online auction.
Identification and valuation:
For the last decade, Lang's has been actively building the largest and most comprehensive data base of antique and collectible fishing tackle and related items in the world - compiling hundreds of thousands of professional photos and descriptions of items in each and every category. This immense and unparalleled database gives Lang's the ability to directly compare your consigned items to thousands of others in the same category, by the same maker, or even the same model - whether it be reels, rods, lures or any other rare or important item for correctness, condition, construction, size, color, or for variations that may translate to a higher price paid at auction. Identification or value no longer needs to be left to human memory or error - it is achieved at Lang's instantaneously with accurate information updated daily - no more endless manual searches, consulting outdated online or printed reference for obscure items, that if found may not yield reliable data. Due to this vast exclusive resource of knowledge, we can, without question, advertise Lang's as the tackle experts - No other appraisal service or auction can match the extensive amount of viable information we have at our disposal.
8-12 weeks prior to the auction: Consignments are inventoried, described and photographed
3-4 weeks prior to the auction: Printed postcards announcing consignments included in the auction are mailed - Featured items are added to the website - Full page ads are added to the website and mailed to perspective bidders - Digital catalogs are mailed.
2 weeks prior to the main auction - The downloadable catalog is available.
10 days prior to the main auction - The free online catalog goes live.
Auction day -View the auction via live video feed.
30 days post sale - Your proceeds check will be mailed along with a complete invoice including an inventory of your lots and the prices they realized.
20 years of successful auctions has produced this schedule. While we often have important collections and high value items consigned many months before the auction, we feel it is important to provide the correct "view time". The right amount of exposure can increase the interest and bidding aggression of prospective buyers, while too much exposure, especially of rare or important items, can have a negative effect on bidder involvement at auction, therefore decreasing the price realized when sold. Most have heard the phrase "shopped to death", this is indeed true with consigned auction items. Lang's consignment display schedule provides the right exposure for the maximum "hype" of your valuable items or collection, while allowing ample time for bidders to comfortably participate.
If you are interested in consigning please continue to browse this sight for more information or pick up the phone and give us a call, we'll be glad to answer any questions you have about the auction or consignment process.